Thursday, September 1, 2011

Natural Spider Deterrent!

I have a huge fear of spiders! And since my husband and I moved out to the country we were finding at least 2 or 3 (sometimes more) spiders in our bedroom/closet/master bath area. It was starting to get to me. Especially when we started getting bit on our ankles at night. Then when I found a bite on my daughters wrist that really got me!

Who would want something like this crawling around in bed with us at night?! Seriously this is what our spiders look like. ACK! No THANKS! Gotta do something about it!


So my husband did some research on natural spider deterrent. Just a note: This is just a deterrent it doesn't actually kill the spiders.


So you get a spray bottle and in it you put:
5 drops lemon essential oil
3 drops citronella essential oil
2 squirts of dish soap
Water

Shake it up and spray around doors, windows, crakes in the floor, heater vents, and wherever else you feel like you should spray. I sprayed all around our bed and my daughter's bed. 

In order for this to continue to work you have to reapply once a week. Because we've been having such huge spiders I've been spraying once a day. ;-)

Since we've started this we haven't found any spiders in the rooms that we've sprayed! :-) YAY!

19 comments:

Jenn said...

I am so doing this. We have huge spiders here in Florida; you can even hear their legs going 'tick tick tick' on the floor as they run *shudder*

Julie @ Pickles and I Scream said...

Ack! We have a spider problem in our master bathroom as well. I have no idea how they get in but they sure do seems to like the bathroom!

Is this pet-safe? I may have to give it a try.

Mama said...

Yes it is pet safe! And I've even heard that if you put it on your dogs shoulders it 'can' help to deter fleas! :-) Never tried it tho.

Joy said...

I'm definitely trying this! I HATE spiders, and we have brown recluses here. That spider picture is very creepy!

Thanks for sharing this!

DazzleMea (Mama4Chaos) said...

Love this post. Not loving the spider picture though! lol Thanks for this, I'll have to give it a try... We get some monster-sized spiders here thanks to living by the lake. :shudders:

Good Girl Gone Green said...

WOW! That is awesome. It is great when you can deter bugs instead if killing them! And those spider look not so fun!

A Restful Place said...

I'm going to be trying this! It's so neat!

Blessings...

That's Life said...

Oh my gosh..this post gave me goosebumps! lol. I hate spiders! Of course who really likes them? ;) I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

I'm stopping in from Friday connect. I love your blog. Have a great weekend!

ReviewsSheRote said...

thats a great deterrent--we don't have a big spider problem, but nice to know there's something I can use if they do come around!
New Followers =)

Anonymous said...

Great idea - I have a huge phobia of spiders, too. We do get a lot in the house and I tend to hoover them up!

Following you from Weekend Blog Hop.
CJ xx

Cindy said...

Thanks for linking up to the Sunday Funday hop! Following you now,
Cindy
http://cute-ecakes.blogspot.com

Jellybelly said...

Great tip! I wonder if this would work on mosquitoes... Visiting from the weekend bloghop!

The Twerp & I

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this!! I hate spiders and we tend to get a lot of them. Following you from the Thursday hop.
Trisha
www.MommaTandBabyE.com

Mom Fashion World said...

Hello!
I just discovered your blog through
Thursday blog hop. I'm glad to meet you here,
and I'm now following you via GFC.

Btw, please feel free to follow my blog

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

and hope you follow back. Thanks!

Just Wedeminute said...

Hi, I found you on Blog Hop Thursday and I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance stop by and say hello http://wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the tip, we just started seeing spiders again due to the weather cooling down!

Chef in Training said...

oh my goodness! This is so good to know! I have a HUGE fear of spiders too! I am your newest follower from the hop! I would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks so much!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't wait to try this! I found you via Hoppin' Weekend and I am so glad!!!

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for this!!

Beth R said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have a new crawler who is in everything so I have been looking for natural remedies to get rid of bugs, especially spiders. Thank you

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...