Wednesday, August 10, 2011

~Susannah's Birth Story~

I know for some being pregnant is very miserable. I'm not saying that it (at times) wasn't miserable for me, but for the most part I enjoyed being pregnant! I loved all the baby kicks, hiccups, wiggles, and to be honest the bump that came along with it all! :-) Yes, I enjoyed being large! :D 


It's hard to remember how things happened but I'll do my best! ;-)




On September 26th I woke up at about 9:00 am from what I thought was my water breaking... so I told my husband and we called our midwives, parents, and Doula (Amy). We had expected labor to start up at least within 24 hours. So we waited at home for a little over 24 hours and labor never started up. We tried to get it to kick in with several different things... I even took some Castor Oil. (Castor Oil had worked on my mom.) However nothing happened. The midwives were concerned about an infection so we then headed for the hospital. On the way I had an extremely bad tummy ache and I threw up all the Castor Oil. I was really nervous at this point. I didn't want to go to the hospital (partially because I didn't know what to expect when we got there and partially because I don't really like hospitals.) When we got there I got even more nervous and I asked my husband if we could wait to go in till someone we knew showed up. We sat outside the hospital and we prayed. Finally the midwife showed up and she took us in. We then met our nurse who took us to our room. When we got to our room, Amy was already there! My parents arrived shortly thereafter. The midwife then came in and started telling us we needed to get labor to start. Pitocin was the option. At the time my husband and I were pretty set on not wanting to use Pitocin. Finally we decided that was what we needed to do. That then made me even more nervous. Finally the nurse suggested that the Midwife check me and see if my waters had actually broken. And they hadn't. So we all went home... And at that time I was feeling pretty much embarrassed. Because of all the people who 'thought' my waters had broken and thought that the baby was on her way. However I am very thankful for that dry run! Because the second time around I wasn't nearly as nervous! :-)
Finally the next day (the due date) came and went with NO signs of labor. Then on September 29th at 4 in the morning I got up to go make my usually trip to the lou ;-)... and the moment I stood up there was no mistaking that my water had actually broken! :-) I then told my husband and he called into his work yet the second time and told them that my waters had broken again. ;-) When then called everyone and waited around a second time for 24 hours. This time tho we went to the midwives office to confirm that my waters had broken. My husband and I walked and walked and walked around the apartment complex... hoping and hoping that labor would start all on its own. This time however we decided not to take Castor Oil! ;-) (didn't like the results of that none whatsoever the first time!) Finally we headed off to the hospital for the second time after I had some breakfast.
On the way I was super excited! Much better then the first trip to the hospital! ;-) When we got there I wasn't at all as nervous either! I felt better and was sure that this was the real thing! We started talking to the midwife again and it was the same thing. Pitocin. By this time my husband and I both had kind of warmed up to the idea of using Pitocin... even tho we had planned for a all natural drug free birth, sometimes plans don't go the way we hope they will.
They then started the Pitocin IV and I had some 'second breakfast' while I waited for contractions. Shortly there after contractions started up slowly... I got a bit nervous at this time and I cried while I held my husband's hand and he reassured me that probably all the hormones going through me was making me nervous and emotional. I realized he was right and I calmed down a bit. My parents, and Amy then went and had some lunch. My husband ordered lunch and ate while I watched. When my parents and Amy got back labor was just starting to come in full force. It was still pretty light and I mostly just moved around in lots of different positions holding my husband's hand and trying to relax and get comfortable between contractions. I remember Amy, my husband, and I then went for a walk. Which I didn't like at all because it caused contractions to come in stronger (tho that might have been a good thing). When we got back I changed positions some more. Then I remember I got up and stood supporting myself with the wall while I held my husband's hand and while Amy massaged my back. I then started crying again... then is when it started getting hard. I remember I went into a sort of dazed state. I would say things like 'I'm so tired' and 'My back hurts'. I remember my husband would continuously tell me to relax and he kept telling me I was doing great and kept encouraging me! He was amazing! At one point I remember people talking about whether she would be a September baby or a October baby. When they were talking of that I felt a bit exhausted and tried not to think about whether she would come in September or October! I'm really thankful she was a September baby! ;-) It just made me to tired to think that it could last longer than 12 hours. So I tried to keep my mind off of when she would come.
I got into the jacuzzi tub at one point... I remember that it was great when I wasn't having contractions but it didn't really feel so good when I was. I got out shortly. When I first got the urge to push I didn't think I was ready so I didn't push. Finally I couldn't hold back the push. And at that exact moment the midwife walked in and asked the nurse how I was. I let out a different pushing noise and I heard the nurse tell the midwife 'that's the first time I've heard that'. At this point I was sitting on the toilet. I remember I sat there for a little bit and pushed here and there. Then the midwife asked me 'Your going to let me know if you feel the baby coming out right?' I remember thinking to myself 'if this is the position that I'm in and she's coming I'm just so tired I'm going to go for it.' Amy then suggested that we move to the hands and knees position on the bed because I had liked that pretty well when I was having contractions. So we made our way there... when we got there it was only 4o min. of pushing and she came out! She came out with her hand above her head. When she came out the midwife told me to reach down and pick up my baby! It was so wonderful! I looked at my husband and seen him crying, which made me all emotional too! I then got to lay down in the bed! Right when I got laid down I started having another contraction... which at this point really annoyed me. I was so tired I just wanted it to be over so I could hold my baby! I think I might have even asked if they could just pull the placenta out. Ha ha! But soon enough I got the urge to push it out all on my own.
I remember at one point when the contractions were really strong I thought 'this is the only time this is happening' But then shortly after I thought that I realized that I would forget all the pain once I held the baby and I knew that there would be many more babies to come, if the Lord so allows! Sure enough I want more beautiful tiny babies! ;-)
Overall I would describe my birth experience as amazing and beautiful! The whole time I felt at peace! The Lord was in that room that day! Even one of the nurses said that it was the best birth she had attended. I am also very thankful that we had a dry run only a few days before the actual thing! And also thankful that the dry run was SO close to the actual thing! I praise the Lord for a beautiful, healthy, smiley baby girl! The very next day she smiled at us! What a blessing! Overall I labored for 7 1/2 hours!



Aww! I just want to squeeze that tiny baby!


Oh the bliss of holding your tiny one when they are first born!


At home!

On September 30th, 2010 at 7:23 pm our little blessing entered the world!! :-) She was 8 lbs 2 3/4 oz! 18 inches long!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Congratulations Mama!
BTW-Thanks for stopping by and following MBG. I now follow you back :)

Shabby Chic Mom said...

what a great story!!

New gfc follower from the thursday blog hop! Would love a follow back and say hello!
http://www.mysocalblog.com

kewkew said...

Thanks again for linking up to Tots and Me with your WW post. I am so glad to have been introduced to you and your blog. I am now following you.
Thanks for sharing your story. You have a precious baby.

A Restful Place said...

What a wonderful Birth Story! Love it! Thanks for sharing. You have a little angel. : )

Blessings - Tabitha

Quirky Homemaker said...

Great story! I had to have Pitocin with both of mine. Sounds like you did a wonderful job. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I'm following back via Twitter. Do you have GFC?

Mama said...

I do have GFC! It keeps acting up, but if you refresh the page it 'usually' comes back. Sorry about that.

May said...

Congrats on the best of your baby, your baby is so adorable and thanks for linking up at monday mingle blog hop. Do have a stress free week.

Shanda said...

Congratulations Little Mama!!

Mandi said...

Congratulations, what a sweetie she is! (I loved being pregnant too!)

Dropping off some love from the Wild Weekend hop! <3 New follower.

Mandi
Smile and Mama With Me

Unknown said...

Thanks for joining my Monday Mob Hop I am now following you back

Dayna Musto said...

What a wonderful story and a beautiful birth. Thank you so much for sharing it - I'm in tears right now.

I'm a new follower from VB - have a wonderful day.

Dayna

Love{&}Bugs said...

My little man shares a birthday with your daughter :-) Hard to believe they are almost a year old already!!
New follower from the Tuesday Hop. Feel free to stop by if you get a chance :-)

Emily @ Love{&}Bugs
http://vanessen-family.blogspot.com

The Gypsy Mom said...

Beautiful story of your birthing experience.....it brought tears to my eyes. I know you must be thinking how your tiny baby could almost be a year old already!! I have 3 little ones - 7, almost 4 and 21 months. They grow so quickly!!

Anonymous said...

That last picture of you two is so sweet! I loved your story. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...